Friday, September 19, 2008

Life Without Power



This last week I have been witness to the effects of Hurricane Ike while in the state of Ohio. On sunday afternoon of this last week a powerful windstorm blew through the state at an unprecedented 80-90 mph. This destructive force uprooted trees, ripped vinyl siding off of homes, and stripped shingles off of roofs. One of the most profound things that this storm did was that it knocked the power out on almost half of the state of Ohio.

On Monday morning of this last week I desired a cup of coffee before I took on the day. The only problem is that there was no power because it had been knocked out by the windstorm. I knew immediately that this storm affected more than just the electricity in Columbus, but it affected the physche of everyone's mind. I went to McDonald's and waited in line for almost an hour for my cup of coffee. People had lost their patience and tempers immediately began to flare. I realized instantly how routine plays such a profound role in our mindset. Electricity affects so many obvious things in our lives, but the interesting thing is the unseen hidden things that we take for granted that electricity affects.

I am somewhat rambling today, because this has been an interesting week needless to say. Things are finally getting back to normal again as electricity is coming on one house at a time. I can't help but think of all that we take for granted when we live under the direction of the Holy Spirit. The Bible speaks of the Holy Spirit as being the comforter. The amount of peace that we have when we live under the power of God's presence is easily taken for granted. When I even briefly consider trying to live without the power of God's presence I could never imagine what life would be like. God's presence affects every aspect of my life, from the way that I treat relationships, my work philosophy, my stewardship. The easiest way to describe life without His presence would be to live life by going through the motions. Their is a substance that His presence gives to life that makes life worth living! Today, encourage yourself to not take his Presence for granted, but appreciate what He allows us to experience!

No comments: