Saturday, September 27, 2008

Observations along Interstate 94


This morning my family and I left the Detroit Metro Area to head out to the Northwest side of Chicago in McHenry County. I received the news this last Thursday evening that my grandfather, who pastors a church in McHenry, passed away. While on our way to Chicago we traveled Interstate 94 headed west to Chicago. I wouldn't say that their is anything exceptionally exciting about I94 except for the fact that it gives you a lot of time to think. When I think about the life of my grandfather, Nolan Hilderbrand, a lot of thoughts come to my mind. When someone passess away you always think of a few things that characterize that individual which always seems to stand out in your mind. So, because of that, I would like to share a few things that have stood out in my mind about my grandfather.
Faithful - If there is anything that I can say it is that my grandfather had an understanding of what commitment actually means. He has been married to my grandmother for 50 some years and has always been a faithful husband and provider for her. He lived in Chicago, working to support his family and the Lord called him to pastor a small church in McHenry, IL just outside of Chicago. He has faithfully served this wonderful congregation through the joyful times, as well as the painful times, yet he has never given up on what he felt God had called for him to do. In the day that we live when over 50% of marriages end in divorce, I can honestly say that my grandfather was an example of what being a faithful husband is.
Informed - One thing that anybody that knew my grandfather would say is that he was the most informed man on any situation you could imagine. He liked to dig for information and was very unimpressed with the flashiness and glitz, but he would dig to find out any information that he could on any situation. If you needed advice on a situation, he always had information that made you wonder, Where did he hear that from? I think this curiosity that he had is probably the same gene that I received that displays itself as a thirst for knowledge. The day that we quit learning is the day that we start falling behind. It is so easy to stick with what is comfortable to us, but there has to be a constant push to strive to grow to be all that we can be. It is not so that we can boast in how wonderful we are, but when we quit growing and learning, we lose the ability to serve others to our maximum potential! Growing and hungering for knowledge is therefore less about us and our desires, but it is more about others!
Godly - My grandfather was a man that desired God. As I already mentioned, he was not into the instant gratification that has unfortunately worked it's way into the church world as well as the secular. He realized that there was something to be said about being consistent and diligent. He studiously would retreat to his study at the house to prepare for his messages, always desiring to bring something much deeper than personality to the pulpit, but he desired to bring the Word with him. I am honored to have had Nolan Hilderbrand as my grandfather and I pray that the lessons that he exampled with his life will spill over into the lives of those that have had the privilege to know him.
All of these observations should make us think about our own lives. As much as we do not like to think about it, death will happen to us all. For the Bible tells us, there is a time and season for all things. What will be said about me when I die? How can I begin to live out what I want to be known for today? I have learned something in life and that is, you must take the time today to be what you want to become. You will never be known for what you desire to be, but you will be known for what you are? What have you done today that will make an eternal impact? In this world that we live it is so easy to be caught up in the temporal that we forget the eternal. I challenge you to do something today that you have been wanting to do, but have put it off due to a numerous host of excuses. Pick up the phone and call. Send that email. Say the kind word to your spouse. Hug your children one more time. Take the time to go on that date with your spouse.

1 comment:

Benny's Page said...

I don't know you, but I attended your grandfathers church back in the early 80's. He was truly a wonderful man of God. I always say he is the most Christ like human being I have ever met. I am sure he is looking down upon you with great pride.