Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Just Something Small


Every church began somehow and somewhere and that somehow was probably birthed out of passion and that somewhere was probably not elaborate. As I travel the country I have found myself asking the same question, " I wonder how this church started?" It is humbling for me to realize that all churches started small at some point. It is very rare for a church to start out large. I have a question to ask, when did we start undervaluing small things? The scriptures admonish us to ...despise not the day of small things. I think that we many times forget the impact of what small things can accomplish. The scripture likens faith that moves God to faith that is the size of a mustard seed. We always seem to pray for more faith, but I believe God is wanting us to use the faith that we all ready possess. Their is a predominate feeling in us to immediately think that we are not good enough, or what we have is not elaborate enough, but we must understand that their is power in something small. A mighty oak tree begins as a tiny seed. Even human life begins when the seed of a man unites with the egg of a woman. Some of the most powerful moments in my life have not happened with the stage lights turned on, but they have happened in very intimate and humble settings when it appeared that no one would even realize what is going on. It reminds me of Jesus' birth. It started as a humble and modest beginning, but you can not underestmate something that seemed to be so insignificant to so many! When I look at the process of life transformation we tend to define ourselves by the large events in life. These large events become markers that we look either back or forward to, but I have learned that the big events do not define character nearly as much as the day to day small things do. The big moment loses it's impact if the small details are not properly put in place. If there is something that you have held off doing because you thought it was small and insignificant, I encourage you to start, because what may start out small could potentially change the course of your life forever. Young men and women, I encourage you to step out in faith and begin that bible study at the coffee shop, it may seem small, but there is no telling how God will use that to change a life. If we sit around and wait for something big, then we will miss out on the power of what is small. So, in a day when the prevailing message is to go out and do something BIG for God, let me encourage you to start today by going out and doing something small.

No comments: