Wednesday, October 8, 2008

An Unprecedented Oppurtunity


I have been particularly interested in all of the financial crises that is going on. Not only was I a financial representative for the company, Nationwide Insurance and Financial Services, but I also feel the pain of rising gas prices with every fill up. Living on the road in an economy such as the one in which we live is very eye opening. Questions rise on everyones minds such as, What is going to happen in the financial markets? What is going to happen with the upcoming election? How is all of this mess going to affect me individually?
We are living in some extremely serious times which has everyones attention. This crises has moved beyond the elite of Washington and it has quickly filtered from Wall Street to Main Street. I have been traveling to churches of all sizes and I have seen how this crises has affected our churches. I believe with all of my heart that it is time for the church to arise and be the voice of reason in the mess that we find ourselves in. What concerns me is that our tendancy will be to react to the crises as opposed to lead during the crises. We can spend all of our time talking about how difficult times are, or we can understand that there has never been a better day for the church. I have had a few people tell me that this must be a horrible time to be a missionary in the midst of all of these crises going on and my answer to that is that there has never been a better time to be a missionary and a church planter. People are so hungry for answers to lifes questions. For so long people have had things that have been consistent in their lives and now in just a few short months what they have relied on for years is now gone. They are looking for something constant that they can build their lives on!
A scripture comes to mind as we face unprecdented times. 2 Corinthians 8:2 How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.KJV We find that in a moment of crises the Macedonian church was defined. Their was hardship and deep financial issues, yet out of the crises that the Macedonian church was facing, generosity was produced. I believe that the crises that we are facing now will define the church. Their is a tendancy, because of the fear of the unknown, to hold onto our resources and cautiously go into maintenance mode, but I do not believe that is a biblical pattern. If there has ever been an hour for the church to prove their reliance upon the Word of God and on giving, then this is it. I pray that this crises finds the church on their knees in prayer more, and more willing to let go of our tendancy to control and realize that what we need is to release God's resources.
I refuse to look at this hour as a depressing moment that will bring the church's mission to a halt, but I rather believe that we are in a defining moment of unprecedented oppurtunity that will position the church for endtime harvest! God, give us passionate men and women that understand that today is the greatest hour for the church.

No comments: