Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I am the Way, The Truth, and The Life

Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life. I read a book by Eugene Peterson which is entitled the Jesus Way which speaks directly to this scripture. I have come to realize that the scripture is very intentional about what it says as well as strategic. The progression for this scripture speaks to the path of discipleship. The progression that this scripture speaks of is having Jesus as the Way, the Truth, then the Life.

1. Way - In order for us to come to the full knowledge of God and deeper understanding we must change our way of living. Although God has the ability to change a persons life, it is up to that individual, because of free will, to change their way of life. When we begin to model the Jesus way of life it directly flows into understanding Jesus as the Truth. - Jesus the way represents our relationship with God.

2. Truth - A deeper understanding of the knowledge of God is found in the truth of who he is. When Jesus asked Peter, Who Do You Say That I Am, Peter's response was, Thou art the Christ. Because of the way, or the relationship that Peter had, it brought him into the depth of a deeper knowledge of truth. Jesus the truth represents our understanding of the doctrine of God.

3. Life - The Jesus life is a life of abundance, for he said, I am come that you might have life more abundantly. I have learned the freedom that is found in life when I am walking the Jesus way and when I have the revelation of Jesus as the truth. It leads you into a life of freedom! Jesus the Life represents our life on purpose through the freedom that we find in Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the "mini" Bible Study!
Ron Simons